Commitment Needs NO formality


Ever since I was a little girl I would dream about marrying someone. I guess I wasn't always sure of what gender, but the idea of being committed to someone on such level brought happiness to me. Now, I didn't want the traditional, fairytale, all white, veil, long tailed-dress, flowers everywhere, 12-16 people court including a flower girl, family (those whom never been around) everywhere... I simply wanted so go to City Hall and marry someone, but for me. Never really conceptualized the obvious as it was already defined by society, but then I met him. One day as we partook in one of our many enlightening conversations, he asked about the topic: "Does marrying someone make you any more committed to that person than you were before doing so?" I thought it through for a second and then answered "ummmm....no". See the more I listened I realized that the values that "come" with marriage are built and sustained before marriage so the benefits to be reaped through marriage are simply the legal ones. By no means are these benefits smalls ones, but as it relates to loyalty, fidelity, CHOICE (to be in, to stay with, to grow along side of, to cohabit, to exist as one), and commit, I, now, see that the formal is not necessary in order for the preceding to exist. "On that level" became hollowed out words as I couldn't see what it meant, couldn't feel what the words tried to project. Some may think, "wow, he just manipulated you into thinking something that benefits him", but honestly there is some logic to his madness. Additionally, I think I like the idea of categorizing, myself, what it is that I am and represent, rather than allowing society to yet again infiltrate my life and do so.

0 comments:

Post a Comment